Monday, July 28, 2008

Designer Bags


I think I first saw these cute little bags from someone on SUDSOL, but I'm not sure. I know there are a ton of tutorials and you've probably already seen them, but I promised my stampin girls that I'd write a one for them.

These bags were our other project at my workshop last weekend. If you know who originally came up with this idea, please let me know and I'll link to that person. Thanks to whoever came up with this fun project... I love these bags! They are VERY easy to make. Edited: Okay, thanks girls, it is Judy Miller...she shared this bag back in April of 2007! The original idea came from Martha Stewart. :) Thanks Judy!!!

What you need:

One 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 piece of card stock.
One 5 1/2 x 11 piece of designer paper.
One 1.5 x 11 inch piece of designer paper.
Scor-Tape
Round Tab Punch
Crop-a-dile, Large Eyelets
Scallop Edge Scissors or punch
Whatever you want to decorate your bag with.



Cut your card stock for the bottom of your bag 4 1/2 x 4 1/2, then score along each edge at 1 inch.















Cut on on two sides on the score lines to make little tabs for your box.














Add adhesive to the tabs to make your box.














Cut your designer paper 5 1/2 x 11. Add Scor-Tape along one long side and one short side. You put the tape on the side of the paper that you want to be in the inside of your bag.









Peel the liner off the tape from the long side only. Start your box half way off the edge with the bottom of the box lined up with the bottom of your paper. Press down on the inside of your box.









Continue to roll your box along the edge making sure that you press down on the inside each rotation so that you get a nice adhere job. Is that a word? Adhere job? LOL.











When you get to the last rotation, peel off the short side of the tape liner and carefully adhere the last side.









You will need one more strip of designer paper or card stock for the finishing touch of your bag. Cut this piece any width you want by 11 inches. You can decorate the edge with scallop scissors or a scallop punch. Add either Scor-Tape, or Snail Adhesive to the back side.










Start at the back of your bag near the seam and adhere to the bottom one side at a time.
















Add your tabs for the top, and decorate as you please. I used the big flower from Stampin'Up!'s Pretties Kit for the front of this one. I used the 3/4 inch circle punch to add a piece of coordinating designer paper for the center and then stuck in through the bag with a Rhinestone brad (that comes in the Pretties Kit). The possibilities are endless. Easy Peasy!








We had a blast making these at our workshop.... I love seeing how everyone added their own little touch to each bag. What a fun little gift bag!

Hope you all have a great day.. thanks for stopping by.

27 comments:

Kelly L said...

Oh my, these are adorable! This was the first time I had seen them, but we are usually last to see such cute stuff out here in the boonies on the eastern side of the states. LOL ;) Kelly

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Ouuuu! how cute is THAT! Thank you so much for sharing how to make these. I would have never tried it without your tutorial, :0)

Dori Shelton said...

So cute! Thanks for the tutorial. Also, if you get a chance check out my blog, I am passing the "brillante weblog" award on to you!

Michele Kovack said...

These are really, really cute!!!

Tara said...

These are really cute. I love your blog. I look every day to see the wonderful things you have created. Can I ask a question - how do you store your copics?

Valerie said...

You Rock!

Lisa_in_AR said...

So cute!!!

Missy said...

The first time I saw these was on Mary's Blog: http://www.stampinpretty.com/2008/07/bella-rose-mini-tote.html

and she linked the tutorial to here:
http://dianagibbs.typepad.com/stampin_with_di/2008/06/box-in-a-bag-tutorial.html
I also made one here:
http://missyscreativecorner.blogspot.com/2008/07/finally.html
Yours are just gorgeous. I was trying so hard to think of something cute to put on the bag without copying the other bags. I did an okay job but I LOVE what you did with your bags, TFS!!!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

love your designer bags. I don't know who was "first" or the designer, but this is the first person I saw post and it was on SCS:
http://dianagibbs.typepad.com/stampin_with_di/2008/06/box-in-a-bag-tutorial.html?cid=119646038

I don't know who she got it from, but I have seen several who say they got it from this gal.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness -- SOOOOO adorable!

Kevin Renz said...

Another great tutorial - my gals are going to love this. Beautiful!

Cheryl said...

This is a really cute bag. Thanks so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

These are so cute! I have not seen these before. Thanks for sharing!!

Andrea said...

Wow, great bag and thanks for the tutorial.
xAndrea

Cheryl said...

I really liked it so much I made one. Please check it out if you get a chance.
http://neverenoughstamps.blogspot.com/

liannallama said...

This is darling! Thanks so much!

Julia Aston said...

I love these little bags! the papers and flowers you used look terrific!

Islander Girl said...

Aloha!

OMG this is too cute! Thanks so much for sharing! I have to make these!!! I love coming to your blog for inspirations and tutorials!!!

Mahalo!
~Claudette

Nicole said...

Your bag rocks, Cami! Thanks for the tutorial, when I see how something is made with tutorials, it makes it seem possible, and not so intimidating!

Katie Cotton said...

absolutely adorable! Love it!

Anonymous said...

these are such adorable bags! Can't wait to try one. Thanks for the tutorial

Judy Miller said...

Hi Cami
I love your bag. The idea was originally from Martha Stewart. I posted the bag on my gallery on Splitcoast back on April 24, 2007. Here is the link. http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/538925?cat=500&ppuser=4367
I got the idea and directions from a friend of mine. I couldn't attend her class due to just having emergency surgery, she was kind enough to send it to me. It just brightened my day. I'm glad you made a tutorial. I'm going to put a link on my website www.ubstampin.com to you. It's nice to see all the different "designer bags". Have a great day. I love your blog. I visit all the time. Thanks for all the great inspirations.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I was looking all over for one. Stampers & scrappers rock! Always sharing so much!

Jutta said...

Wow, what a fantastic little bag!!!Great work!
Thanks for the workshop!
Hugs Jutta

Cynde said...

Thank you for such a great bag to look at. It is really bright and colorful.
I don't care who did what first. Everyone has a different slant on things.
Yours is Adorable!!

Anonymous said...

What a cute creation. Thank you for sharing this tutorial and your ideas.

Adams Smith said...

Awesome! Thanks for the tutorial. Also, if you get a chance check out my blog, I am passing the "brillante weblog" award on to you!
promotional bags