Monday, March 3, 2008

Bagalope Basket



When I first started as a demonstrator with Stampin'Up! one of the first things I did at a workshop was a bagalope. That is a fancy term for a little bag made out of an envelope. So, when I saw the cute pouches that a very clever demo showed at a SU! Regional, I decided to combine the two and make a basket! We made the easter basket at my last workshop and my girls loved them. I promised a tutorial for them, so here it goes.

These are fun and easy... the possibilities are endless. Are you ready? Here we go. Remember, you can click on the photos to see them larger.



Step one: Take your envelope, lick the flap and seal it closed. Stamp the front and the back. The back will be the side that shows the envelope flap.

















Step Two: Score your envelope along three sides. This basket was done with the score lines on both long sides and across the bottom. Depending on how much you score, makes your basket either bigger or smaller. The easter basket was scored at 5/8 (see the next photo) and the flower basket was scored at 1 inch.















Step Three: On the non scored side of your envelope, take your large Tag Punch and push it all the way in until it won't go in any further. Line it up with the edge so that just a little is sticking out. Punch.










Step Four: Line up the punch right over the previous punch and line up the opposite edge, punch out the remaining piece. Repeat step three and four on the opposite side of your envelope.

Your envelope will now look like this:











Step Five:
Take your envelope and line up the top of the punched out part with the grove in your cutter. Cut off the little tabs. Make sure to lift up the cutter and not to cut your handle off. You just want to cut off that little tab on both ends.










Step Six: You can decorate your basket with designer paper. It's easier to do that now before you start to assemble your basket. We added paper to the front and the back, which makes a really sturdy basket.

Step Seven: This is the important part! Fold your score lines really well in both directions. Use the bone folder to help get a nice crease. This will make the next step easier.

Tip: If you want to make the pouch only, skip the scoring.









Step Eight: Open your envelope. Start with the side and work your way up to the bottom making a little flap on each side. Work the bottom of your envelope out flat.

















Step Nine: You can glue these tabs down, or you can fold on the center line (out towards you) and make a little snip with your scissors. Fold back out flat, then tuck the tabs into the slit. See the next photo.

One of my customers shared that tip with me.... how cool is she? (Thanks June... you da bomb)














Bagalope Basket is complete and will sit up nice and neat! Continue to decorate as you please, then fill up with goodies. People will not believe this is an envelope!


How fun is that? I hope you give it a try.

Here are the supplies I used for these projects:

Stamps: A Good Egg, So Many Scallops (Flower Basket)
Paper: Shimmery White Envelope (Easter), Naturals Ivory Envelope (Flower). Whisper White, Spring Fling Designer Paper, Regal Rose, Sage Shadow (Easter). Naturals Ivory, Fall Flowers Designer Paper (Flower).
Ink: Basic Black, Stampin' Write Markers, Regal Rose (Easter). Really Rust, Wild Wasabi (Flower).
Other: Medium Shimmery White, and Natural Ivory Envelopes, Word Window Punch, Round Scallop Punch, Crop-a-dile, Circle Punches, Dazzling Diamonds, Grosgrain Ribbon, Build a Brad, Large Tag Punch, Paper Snips, Scor-Pal.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a super week!

~Cambria
©Stampin'Up! 1990-2008

46 comments:

Karen said...

Cami - you is da bomb girlfriend!!! (How did I go with the Cami talk??) lol Now I am off to order some more SU envelopes to do this at my team meeting!! WAY COOL IDEA!

Karen

Karen said...

OMG!!! I just realised I was the first to post!! I am NEVER first at posint on your blog! ROFLOL

Karen
xo

Beth said...

Totally worth the wait! Great tutorial!!

Darce Roberts said...

OMG...sooooo cute!! I had seen these on SCS but didn't like that they didn't "stand up" but you just went and fixed that problem, didn't ya?!? Love it!! Now if I just had a Scor-Pal... :)

Anonymous said...

I just whipped me up one of these! These are great! I like them better than just the envelope pouch! Thanks Cambria for sharing this with us!

StampingJoan said...

too cute Cam! I love these little bags and they always WOW the girls! I think I will do some with the kraft envies I have in my stash!

pescbrico said...

Thanks for sharing! IT's beautiful!

Tonya Klar said...

Very nice, indeed!! I'm going to make some of these for my daughter's MDO class.

Anonymous said...

What a cute basket and great tutorial. I am making the easter basket that Nancy M made for my party on wed. I know the girls will love it :-) TFS

Donna Baker said...

PERFECT! we must have joined around the same time I totally remember them! thanks for sharing as usual!

Alex said...

You did it again - this is amazing!! I totally love this stinkin' adorable basket and need to order some envelopes so I can make one or ten - LOL! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

JoAnna said...

Oh my gosh!!! These are sooo cute :) I am off to try and make one right now!!

JoAnna

Anonymous said...

Oh Cambria--these are awesome!

Anonymous said...

very cute

Rae said...

Thanks so much...great tutorial!

Kari said...

Wow! Thanks for the great tutorial!

Anonymous said...

Love them!! Thanks for the super tutorial!!!
Dorothy

Courtney said...

You made that look so easy! TFS!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial. My mom shared with me the pouch part of it but I love the idea of making it into a basket. I am going to have to use that.

JanTink said...

THIS ROCKS, Cambria!!! How cool is THIS!!! I'm doin' this for my next class, for sure! Thanks

Lisa T. said...

This is a very cute project. I just love the things you've done with this Easter set...now I'm going to have to buy it... Thanks for sharing.

Karen Kelly said...

I love the idea of combining the two techniques so that this stands on its own--great idea! Thanks for the tutorial :-)

Libby Hickson said...

Thanks for the great tutorial! I really need to try this, it's time to break out my scor-pal! Can you believe I got one for Christmas and it's still sitting in it's original packaging!?!? Well in my defense, I have been a little busy...! :-)

Anonymous said...

Love it Cams!!

Jen Stevenson said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I made two last night. I liked using the Kraft envelopes better. They are a little heavier and were easier to manipulate.

Kerry D-C said...

How cool are you?! This is fantastic! thanks for the great tutorial too!

Dawn Easton said...

Oh this is adorable! Thanks for the tutorial. I had forgotten how to do this...lol! So quick and simple but the results are always a WOW when someone hears it is made from an envelope!

Alicia Weiman said...

These are too cute and so creative. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to make one.

Alicia Weiman

Pinky Roth said...

I love this project and using your score pal as well...thanks for posting this.

Pinky

Marja Sch said...

They are so lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

OMGosh, that is the coolest thing ever!!! You are a genius! I just love that, how awesome!
The next post is fabulous, as well!!! Thanks for the great inspiration, you are AMAZING! :D

Marilyn said...

Wow - I am just printing out these instructions and off to make some of these for my 150 club members - thanks for the great tutorial - your blog ROCKS! Love to read it every day!

Sears Family said...

So cute!!! I have been making Easter treat containers for the past several days and I cannot wait to try this one! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

these are adorable Cambria!!

Sumtoy said...

very cute sweetie

Jenn said...

How cool!!! Thank for the toot!!! This rocks!!

Tammi said...

Cambria, you are amazing. You come up with the cutest ideas and you are so generous to share with us all.
Thank you again!

Linda McClain said...

What a great tutorial. I love all the bling on the chick - isn't that new glitter just to die for!

Anonymous said...

You are just one smart cookie! LOVE it!
Hugs and smiles

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial Cami. Thanks for taking the time and putting it together. Will have to try soon...Maybe wsc part 2 this friday:) Your projects are amazing as usual.

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

adorable! When I first saw this, I wondered if it would work with the bagalope tech. I just never got around to trying and now I'm glad to see it does!!!

Benga said...

super duper cool! yeah ! u da bomb! Thanks for sharing your creative ideas

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your Easter basket - so simple and clever. Thanks for sharing.

Swedie

Anonymous said...

Thanks Love! This was a big hit in my class on Friday!
http://jami.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/2008/03/10/my-march-su-class/

-Jami

Charmingdesigns said...

Love this!!! I have been tempted to purchase the score pal, but I havent really seen anyone use it! You make it look like a "must need' thing to have!! Laurie

Erica Bass said...

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing the tutorial. I know how long those take to write!