Thursday, December 4, 2008

Jody Morrow Box Tutorial


I LOVE Jody Morrow! If you haven't been over to her blog to visit, you are missing out... she's always coming up with AWESOME ideas. This box is totally her design. Take a look here. I love it SO much... I ended up tweakin it just a tad. For me, it's easier to make this smaller version with my Scor-pal... and you know me, easy gets me every time. The last time I made her box (I've made a LOT), I cut the paper the wrong size and had some left over on one side, so I made a flap. Good excuse to use my favorite little magnets for a closure. :)


I'm going to show you how I made this one today. :)

Supplies:

Stamps:
Anna Mae, Lola Love (Our Craft Lounge).
Paper: Grape Bazzill, Apple Green Bazzill, Plum Delight Bazzill, Neenah White.
Ink: Brilliance Graphite Black, Copic Markers, YG11, BV01, BV15, BV17, E00, Y21.
Other: Rectangle Nesties, Cuttlebug, Shimmerz Royal Purple, Blingz Wintergreen, Sakura Glaze pen (clear), Grosgrain Ribbon (Stampin'Up!), Scallop Edge Punch (Stampin'Up!), Basic Grey Magnetic Snap Closures, Scor-Pal, Fiskers Cutter.



Cut your card stock 6x12. You can get two boxes from one 12x12 sheet of card stock.

Score on the long side at
4.5
6.5
and 11 inches.









Score on short side at:

1.5 and 4.5

You can click on any of the photos to see them larger.














Line up your box short side up, with the score line in the cutting blade lane.

cut down to the first horizontal score line.














Lift the blade, line up the arrows on the side with the next horizontal score line.


Continue to cut on the rest of the score line.

Flip and do the same on the other side.










Now flip your box so that the long side is up. Line up the first center score line with the two inch mark on your cutter.

Make sure before you start cutting that your card stock is butted up against the bottom and that your score line is lined up on the two inch line.









Cut down to the first score/cut line. Stop, lift the blade, line up the arrows on your blade with the next score/cut line. Continue to cut.










Flip and do the same for the other side.

















Your finished cut and scored box will look like this. :)













Scallop the ends if you want, or leave them plain. Fold your flaps and apply adhesive to form the bottom of your box.

Stamp and color your image for the front of your box. Adhere it to the front (the side with no extra flap).

Now for the fun flap. Get one negative and one positive snap magnet.



Place the magnets on the front top portion of your box. One on the outside and one on the inside. Reposition them so that when the flap from the back side is closed, it covers the magnet on the outside.












Carefully lay the front of your box down, pull off the magnet from the inside of your box, peel off the adhesive, and let it stick to the same spot you removed it from.









Pull off the magnet from the outside/front of your box, close the flap over the front, then take off the backing and stick the magnet to the front of the flap.











Make your flap.

This one measures 1.25 x 3 (apple green) after the scallops. The purple strip measures 1 x 3 inches (layered on the apple green). If you are going to add things that need to line up with your main image, like with Anna Mae here, do not add those until the very last. If you do not want the ribbon to show on the back side when the flap is opened, add it before adhering to your flap.




Adhere your flap right over the magnet on the front flap.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the little snap sound those magnets make when the top closes.... it feels like magic! :)

If you love this little box as much as I do, hop on over to Jody's blog and give her a big ole thank you for sharing with us! :)

Make sure you stop by and see me tomorrow! Marianne (from Copic Makers) is heading down to So. CA to meet up with the Our Craft Lounge girls for fun classes and make and takes. See their schedule in
this post. I can't go this time.... so I'm giving away something BRAND NEW that we will have in our store soon. You could win! I think you'll love it... it starts with a C. Oh yah, giving away blog candy makes me feel better about being at home while they are having fun. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

24 comments:

Anna said...

What a cute little box! I LOVE all the purple! I'm going to have to give this one a try! Thanks for showing it!
Anna

Kisa Peters said...

Great tutorial! YOU Rocked the purple.....I suck at purple!

Something starts with C? Tomorrow? Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve!

Tracey said...

I love this!! Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial!

Maria said...

What a fabulous box, Cambria!! I really love the colors and the image is so cute! Great job coloring the image!!

Thanks for the tutorial. . .I will definitely try this out . . .looks easy enough! Like you, if it's easy, I'll try it out! LOL!!

Maria

Anonymous said...

i love the box tutorial. thanks for showing it.
and your blog candy is teasing me.

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Oh my gosh, so STINKIN' adorable! I just LOVE it!

Missy said...

I love this box. I have made of few of these myself. I do love the "accident" and then getting to use it as a flap. I really need to get some of those magnets. I had to resort to using snaps made for sewing on a gift I made my sister for her birthday. I am just going to have to pick up the magnets next time I see them. Thanks.

Lori Barnett said...

You have sure been busy!!! Everything is super SUPER SUPER CUTE!!!

ateliersdeval said...

thanks a lot, it's so pretty

Anonymous said...

Camilicious ...
Honestly when you touch something, it turns to (pink) gold! Way to go, darlin'!

TiteC said...

thank you so much for this tutorial !!

love it

xxx from France
Sophie

Vicki G said...

Now that is just the cutest!!! Wowza!


Vicki

Lila H said...

OMG!!! Love the tutorial!!! that box is sticking cute!!! diggin purple!!

sumbine said...

Thank you for this great tutorial.
The box looks fabulous!

DeeDee said...

This is just so darned CUTE!!!! And I just recieved that stamp set...so YAY!!! HUGS!!

Broni said...

What a great version of Jody's box, Cami! I love all the purple love going on here!!!

Jody Morrow said...

Oh WOW! I LOVE that! I am going to have to try it with the magnetic closure! COOLIO!

Anonymous said...

I just love your tutorials, so easy to follow, I will definitely have to try this. Thank you for sharing, Angie :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it but you make the cutest things. I think I really like them because they are girly and I don't have any girls, just boys so I am living vicariously through you :) Thank you for making me feel girly :)~

Alex said...

totally stinkin' cute Cami - wow!!! I love this, and your tutorial ROCKS!!!!!! I cannot pull off purple, but you are amazing at it!! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Anonymous said...

Very cute Cami! May I ask what the letters are for the 'Be Mine'. Did you draw them or are they purchased? What are they?

Memories of Time said...

Hi Fran... "Be Mine" is a stamp in the Lola Love stamp set from Our Craft Lounge. :)

Thanks for visiting!

A Touch of SOL said...

Hello what a cute box. Where do you buy the magnetic closures?

slimwitch said...

This is really nice.. I mean all your work are really nice.. I really want to make one for my son's give away (his coming birthday) but I'm having a hard time looking for cardstock. I don't think we have it here..Maybe I'll just improvise.. But THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU so much!!! i really love all the ideas