Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Watercoloring for Cheaters


Okay, so maybe it's not REALLY cheating, but I feel like I'm cheating since it's SO easy and fun! Remember when I told you that I dropped by my friend Nancy Morgan's house, and Nancy Littrel had left this stamp set? This is one of the techniques that Nancy showed me... which Nancy L. showed her, which I think she was taught by the amazing Leslie Miller. I've never been that great at watercoloring with reinkers and a brush. It seems I can't get the right amount of ink.. either too much or not enough. So, this is why I was THRILLED to learn how to do this.. and now I'm in love with my Stampin'Up! markers... at least with watercolor paper. *wink*.



Yep, you heard me... I used only my Stampin' Write Markers and my Aquapainter. Am I the last one to know about this? It seriously took under a minute, and it was a no brainer. I love no brainers... I NEED no brainers.

I'm going to show you just how easy! You ready? Did you get this set? If you didn't, you better hurry.... time's out at the end of the month. :)





Watercoloring for Cheaters:


Step One:
Stamp your image on watercolor paper with Stazon ink (or emboss).

Step Two:
Take your marker with the brush tip and draw on the lines in the image that indicate the shadowing. *Click on the image to see a larger version of the photo.* I colored the stem of the flower with the fine point tip.



Step Three:


Take the Aquapainter (or paint brush) and move the ink from the shadowed areas to the outer areas. Blend as much or as little as you want. If you get an area too dark, just dab the area with a paper towel. If you need more ink, go back again with your brush tip and add more to the shaded areas again.

Touch the tip of the Aquapainter to a tissue or paper towel until the red is out of the tip, then move on to the old olive on the leaves. It's okay to leave a little white area too.

Wham Bam, Shazam, DONE! Omgosh... how easy is that? The more it dries, the more it just pops from the paper. Can you believe it? Two markers and a Aquapainter!

Things to remember:
  • Works best with watercolor paper
  • You need waterproof ink (main image)
  • Just dab with tissue if you get too much water or ink.
  • Copics do not work well with this technique. You can use Copic reinker to "paint' with but you will not get the same results by using Copic markers to color directly on to watercolor paper.
Here is the recipe:

Stamps: Bloomin' Beautiful (Stampin'Up!), Pretty Petals Background Stamp.
Paper: Watercolor Paper, Rose Red, Old Olive, Basic Black.
Ink: Black Stazon, Rose Red & Old Olive Stampin' Write Marker, Black Craft Ink.
Other: Poly-Twill Olive Ribbon, Dimensionals, Rose Red Brads, Vintage Brads (second card), Circle Punch, Aquapainter, Crafter's Tool Kit, Photo Corner Punch,Stamp-a-ma-jig (second card), Scor-Pal.

Hope you all had a great day. Thanks for stopping by! If you try this technique, I'd love for you to leave me a link so I can see!

45 comments:

Alhambra Club said...

These cards are beautiful, love the colors you used.

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

This is fabulous! I definitely need to try this. Thanks for the step by step instructions.

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Just gorgeous, Cami! GORGEOUS!

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I have to try this!!!

Tamara said...

This is a beautiful card..I love the colors you used.

Lori Barnett said...

hummmm...sounds easy cheesy! ;) looks like I might be able to pull this technique off! LOL But really...I'm gonna give it a try. And I bet my 7 year old stamping buddy will be able to do it with me :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, love this card & LOVE teh technique! How easy!
PS, You have been tagged by me on my blog! Your cards always inspire me & I love your sense of humour! Hope your gramma is doing ok now!
TFS
Sunshine NZ www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

These cards are just beautiful!! Thanks for demonstrating the watercolor technique. I've never been able to get it to look as good as your's did.

Anonymous said...

I love the look using this technique. Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Soguesswhat11 said...

Cami, this is great! I swear I have to have been living under a rock. I've been stamping for 7 years and have never seen this done. Can I say "DUH?!" That's fantastic!!!! I'm gonna have to share this with others. THANK YOU!!!!! Oh, and the card is beeautiful, too.

mkayteem said...

Hi Cami -
Nope, have never seen this technique before. You are da bomb for showing all of us! This just goes to show you that you should assume nothing! You must always show us all of your tricks! You rock! Love both of the cards! Have I used enough exclamation marks?!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome tutorial - thanks so much for sharing
DianeL

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll be a WC Cheater. Thanks for the tutorial. I have never been successful with watercoloring. Hopefully this will change all that.

/p

Anonymous said...

Nope - you're not the last one! I have to try this technique out. I love using the watercolor paper and this looks a lot easier than dabbing on the stamp pad with the aquapainter. MUST TRY. Thank you!

Alyssa S said...

These are gorgeous! You may have just pushed me over the edge on this set!

Sandy Hill said...

WOW Cambria!! This is gorgeous. I had not heard of this watercoloring technique. Thanks for sharing. I am definitely going to try it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I have used my su markers to water color but not like this! TFS!

Tanja said...

Thanks for sharing. You got a really beautiful result!

Stefanie Staniak said...

Super tutorial and a beautiful card!!

StampingJoan said...

Beautiful card Cami! I have done this before but you have refreshed my memory!!! Wish I had this set now!

Melissa said...

Absolutely fabulous! I use this technique a lot because I refuse to buy the Copics.....thanks for the inspiration and stunning card!

Many Blessings,
M.

Amy said...

No, you aren't the only one who didn't know about this watercoloring method. I'm going to have to try it today! Thanks!

Dori Shelton said...

Super Cute card. I Love this technique! (Of course, I'm completely out of water color paper right now...bummer!)
I did, however, finally get my Sushi set :)!!
Posted my first sample today, check it out if you get a minute.

http://www.stampinGHmom.blogspot.com

Kathy W said...

Beautiful cards! Thanks for the reminder to pull out my watercolor paper. And I'm all for quick cards; TFS.

Alex said...

Gorgeous, girl - thanks for showing this, I am watercolor challenged, lol! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

DeeDee said...

WOW, that's really COOL....thanks for the info Cami!!! Gorgeous card too!!

retiredheather said...

I love to watercolor and use paint, H20`s but now I quess I need to buy markers. Your coloring turned out great.
Retired Heather

Kathleen said...

Thanks for showing this---I have been told I could do this, but I haven't seen a tutorial. Since I don't have those COPICS, this will really help! Your card is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial. I do not have too many SU markers but I have enough to do this.

Lana said...

GET OUT CAMS! BRILLIANT! Thanks for sharing! I love cheating!

Anonymous said...

Oh Wow!! I would have never thought that you could do that using the Stampin Up markers....Thanks so much for sharing!! I am definitely going to be doing more watercoloring :)

Marilyn said...

Thanks for sharing this awesome technique!! I've gotta try this one out - and your card is dazzling!! Love it all!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Cami! I had to come check it out...it looks fabulous! So quick and easy. Great tutorial and absolutely beautiful cards!

Erica Bass said...

I've seen this before but only tried it with whisper white. The real trick must be the watercolor paper then. Goo to know.

Have to add that the flower turned out gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh--just absolutely beautiful! You have inspired me to grab this set before it goes--I was totally on the fence about it up until now. Just lovely work. :)

Andrea said...

Oh wow - great cards. I love the colors!
xAndrea

Patti Gingrich said...

Stunning card Cami! The colors are amazingly beautiful! Maybe I don't need those Copics afterall. Hmm.

Anonymous said...

This is cool! I will have to try this ASAP! Very much enjoy new ideas. Thank for sharing and you have super inspiring cards girl... Michelle :)

Anonymous said...

Cami. Isn't this just such a fun, quick and easy technique? Love your gorgeous flower and the layout on your beautiful card. Be sure and check out Leslie's (Running with Scissors) blog today. She is doing a watercoloring tutorial every monday. Happy coloring, Nancy

Heather McNally and Melissa MacDonald said...

It's GORGEOUS! I love this technique - SUPAH easy! I neeeeed supah easy! Love ya!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

What an awesome tip!!!! You were the Tutorial of the Week over at Card of the Week.com.

You can check out the original post at http://www.cardoftheweek.com/2008/07/tutorial-tuesda.html

You rock -- I can't wait to try this!

Anonymous said...

Ok--I tried this and am soooooo happy with the results. TFS--Your cards are just beautiful--pretty much cased them both. So thank you again for sharing this so easy technique and your gorgeous cards.
Laurie

Marja Sch said...

What a wonderful rose, just gorgeous. Hugs Marja

liannallama said...

oh, what a fab idea! Thanks for the tip!