Sunday, December 7, 2008

Happy Birthday Bevie Pearl!!



Today is my friend Bev's birthday. I met her online at SCS years ago... she came all the way from Chicago to visit me... TWICE and she's coming back this summer again. My kids love her as much as I do. Her phone messages make me smile. I love her with all my heart.... she is THE best friend. So, today I wish my sweet friend a very happy birthday. If you'd like to make her day, head over to her blog and wish her a happy birthday. :)


I combined both Lil' Peanut and Dr. Peanut to make this card. A little masking with my favorite Eclipse tape and sweet Lil' Peanut is ready to send birthday wishes.

I added all some Shazam with Bingz, Sakura Glaze Pens, and atyou Spica pens.

Supplies:

Stamps: Lil' Peanut, Dr. Peanut (Our Craft Lounge)
Paper: Riding Hood Red, Neenah White, Just Dreamy2 (My Mind's Eye).
Ink: Brilliance Graphite, Copic Markers.
Other: Janome Sew Mini, Wintergreen Bingz (the balloons), atyou Spica Pens, Sakura Glaze Pens, Crafter's Tool Kit, Scallop Edge Punch, Dimensionals, Ric Rack, Scor-Pal.

Wow.... you guys! Thanks for all the comments about the Copic Markers. You are all SO sweet. A lot of you said you needed help with them. I know not everyone can take Marianne's class. But, I do have to say, that if you like my coloring, ANYONE can do it. I am not a great colorer. I think that is why I LOVE them so much... they are SO easy. I know I don't use them to half their potential. So, I know if I can do it, you can too!

A couple important things. To have great success with them, you really need good paper and good ink. As much as I love Whisper White for stamping, it does not work well with Copic Markers. If you just want to color, it works, but to get the blending and fun effects, you really need a cardstock that you can move and blend with. My favorite for this is Neenah Solor White. I've also heard that Papertrey white works well, although I've never tried it.

The second thing is good ink that won't smear. Some inks you need to let dry or heat set, but my absolute favorite is the Ranger Distress Soot Black. You can stamp it and then color immediately... no waiting, no smearing. I love the Brilliance too, but I need to think ahead with that one so that it has some dry time.

Here are some tips that help me. Remember to work in small circles and saturate the paper... you should see it bleed through to the back! Don't be afraid. You can blend and blend and blend and your paper will not pile. Start with a light color then add a darker shade, then go back with the lighter color and blend with it.
Sometimes, I do not use a second darker color but just go back with the same color marker to make areas darker, then use the Blender Pen to take away more color. I use the chisel end of the Sketch markers for the grass and sky etc. Little circles. :) Again, I'm SO far from an expert on these, but they are truly worth every penny.

That's the other thing. I know they are expensive, but if you look at it over the long run, they are not really expensive. Consider that they are re-fillable (but they last forever... so no need to buy refills with your markers). The tips on both ends are replaceable, but again, no need to buy any... they last forever. WAY more durable than any marker I've ever had. Not one of my tips have frayed or been damaged in any way. Trust me, if you start using them, you will never put them down. They are the easiest, most fun, most amazing markers ever! So, LOL... maybe that is your warning... do not pick them up!! If you pick them up, YOU WILL WANT THEM.

Okay, so I'll be back in just a few minutes to pick a winner! Again, thank you for all the comments, recipes, and input. YOU ALL ROCK! :)

7 comments:

Vicki G said...

This is totally totally precious!!!!!! She will be so pleased to get it!!!!

Charlene H. said...

You give such good advice about using the copics. It really makes me want some!

Kisa Peters said...

So I just CAN"T wait to get my chubby fingers on some of them markers! Going to have to wait until we get back from vacation.....dang good thing my Birthday is in January! I LOVE the card too! I'm totally crashing your party with Bev this summer -invited or not!!

Bevie Pearl said...

You goose. Thanks for the bday wishes. You know I love you.
I can't wait til summer 09. Paradise here I come. (stock up on chocolate chips for Steve's cookies...I love those.)We can have them for breakfast lunch and dinner with our Dutch Bros coffee.
(No water allowed during meals.)
Snort!

Cindy Haffner said...

Great advice on the copics, that it everything I do. I love my copics and I love Peanut.

DeeDee said...

Love this card!!!! WOW, he's so CUTE!!! THANKS for all the tips too...I love learning about the Copics...they are very wonderful to use!!! HUGS!!

Ila said...

Your card is Super Cute!! and the coloring is Fabulous!..love all the info you've shared about copics....these may just be my xmas present this year...Yay!!