Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Baroque Motifs Gate Card


I've been wanting to try something with the gate fold ever since my Scor-pal arrived. Today, my dear friend Leslie pushed me over the edge. Click here to see her beautiful creation. Click here for directions to the gate fold.

I modified it a little by trimming off the flaps a bit and then scoring again and folding in the opposite direction.... then sewing. :) I had a question about what I do with the ends after sewing. For me, it depends on if you see the back side when you open the card. If I'm sewing on just a front piece (that will be glued to a card base), I just tape them with a small piece of scotch tape, or run my mono across the ends before I stick it down. If you are going to see the stitching when you open the card, I pull the
little loop in the very last stitch from the back and then tie it in a small knot. Make sure you give yourself enough extra thread when you begin and at the end when sewing.

The front piece is only attached on the left side. There is a small notch above the card stock over the
Build a Brad that holds it closed. I made both notches (there is another at the top where the ribbon is tied) with the half inch circle punch.

Like Leslie... this card is made with Stampin'Up!'s double sided designer paper. With the insert in the middle, it's very sturdy. The scalloped inside is a white scallop postcard from Stampendous. I don't know if they still make them. I found a whole package in a drawer upstairs that I've had for years. They are perfect for the inside of cards.... I'd love to have more.

Here is the recipe:

Stamps: Baroque Motifs, Brighter Tomorrow
Paper: Ginger Blossom Designer Paper, Very Vanilla, Groovy Guava Textured and plain card stock, River Rock, Ruby Red, Stampendous Matte White Scallop Postcards.
Ink: Mellow Moss, Groovy Guava, Ruby Red, Handsome Hunter, Versamark
Other: Round Scallop Punch, 1/2 Circle Punch, Round Rhinestone Brads, Build a Brad, Crop-a-dile, Groovy Guava Stitched Ribbon, Crafter's Tool Kit, Janome Sew Mini, Scor-Pal.

Have a super day everyone!! My family is taking me to dinner tonight for my birthday! Yeah.... no dishes!!! As always, thanks for stopping by!!

~Cambria
©Stampin'Up! 1990-2007

24 comments:

Dawn Easton said...

Oh my gosh...it's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the links!! Will definitely be trying one of these soon!

Rose Ann said...

This is sooo gorgeous! I love everything you've done here, Cambria!! Happy birthday too!!

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday to YOU!! I love that card, it is gorgeous. Enjoy your birthday dinner and be sure to have dessert, calories don't count on your birthday.

Jana O'Brien said...

Wow, Cambria! This is stunning.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday girlfriend!! LOVE your card! LOVE the new papers! yum! Patty
www.pattystamps.com

Dottie K. said...

So pretty. Love the colors and the design. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you enjoy your dinner! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a pretty card! I just love the papers and how beautifully finished the inside is! Happy, Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Your card is just beautiful......just love those dps! Thanks for sharing all the info. SINGING>>>>>>>>>>> HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUUUUUUUU.......HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.........I better quit the dogs for miles around are howling LOL.

Heather McNally and Melissa MacDonald said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, my beautiful pink friend!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!! I love ths card, too! HUGE HUGE BIRTHDAY HUGS!

Stamping Moments said...

Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to You......Have a super day, luv jenny x

Libby Hickson said...

This is so pretty! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Jennifer Meyer said...

Gorgeous card Cambria, wish you could come over and play! :)

Jennifer :)

Cheryl said...

What a cool card! Love how bright and cheery it is. I will need to try this gate fold.

Unknown said...

beautiful Cami - stunningly beautiful - just like you my birthday friend! HAPPY BIRTHDAY (39 again, right)

Dawn Easton said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday with your family!! Best wishes for many more!

Anonymous said...

Happy happy birthday:) Hope your day is as special as you are and that you have a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

Dear Cami, Happy, Happy Birthday......again :-) I hope the wishes keep coming for the rest of the month. After all, this is a special b-day for a very special young lady. Absolutely love your bright and very creative card. TFS Nancy

Anonymous said...

Your card is so beautiful! (I love that Baroque set.)

I hope you had a wonderful birthday dinner last night!

Tina Suzan said...

Hope the Birthday dinner was filled with joy and laughter!! Happy Birthday and it seems like there are a few of us around with birthdays in the first week or two of January...me included. Loved the card and am signing off to go try one with my scor pal!! Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Cami! I hope you had a super fabulous birthday! I know your family treated you extra special 'cuz they LOVE you! Isn't this a fun fold? I love it! It's really cute with the sewing.

Laura Roth said...

OMG! That's beautiful! I love you gate card!

Lynn Put said...

This card is so beautiful, I love all of the details you put into it!

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

GORGEOUS combination of stamps and papers/colors -- TOTALLY FAB!!!

Girl can Knit - Cherry Lane Knit Stamp Quilt said...

Cambria..beautiful card! I copied your card for my stamp class, and they all loved it! The papers and the colors. The only thing i did, was to use River Rock cardstock instead of using the double sided papers..but it is absolutely beautiful! THANK you for the idea and inspiration!